"Memory is a net; one finds it full of fish when he takes it from the brook; but a dozen miles of water have run through it without sticking." -Oliver Wendell Holmes


Sunday, August 23, 2009

Glass Half Empty


What happened to the girl who loved to buy a box of unsharpened pencils only to spend countless hours writing her initials with a black sharpie on each one?  The girl who liked the smell of a new textbook?  Who looked forward to paper bag lunches - balanced of course with a sandwich, a fruit and a snack?  She's gone.  I don't know where she went, but she's not here any more. 

In twenty-four hours I will be teaching third hour.  A fresh group of juniors will be about halfway through their first day of the school year.  And before I even know what has happened to me, summer will be gone.  The weather seems to have decided that it would stick it to me one more time with a beautiful and unseasonably cool weekend.  You would think this would be a good thing.  Not so.  I don't get to spend it outside at the park like I would do in an ideal world.  Instead, I'm stuck inside planning for a first week of school that I'm not thrilled about in the first place.  With an attitude that is at best....snarky....I approach this new school year.   I am working on changing this attitude, but even as I start a new year with a clean slate, I can't help but start counting down to June 9 when school lets out for another summer.  
  





No comments:

Post a Comment