"Memory is a net; one finds it full of fish when he takes it from the brook; but a dozen miles of water have run through it without sticking." -Oliver Wendell Holmes


Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Pre-Wedding Countdown

I shouldn't have done it, but I knew I wouldn't be able to control myself.   It was only going to torture me and now I'm my own worst enemy.  Today is no exception, but I just can't stop.  

Here's the story to clarify.  A few months ago, I found a feature on my cell phone called "D-Day Countdown."  I had never used it before, but thought it would be fun to put in the wedding day so I always knew how many days away it was - helpful when it was 64, 63, 62, 61 days away, etc. NOT so helpful when it's only THREE mornings away and I'm in "get-all-the-last-minute-details-done" mode.  I know the wedding is Saturday.  I'm perfectly aware that it's two days away from the rehearsal dinner at my house and the house is a train wreck, the lawn needs mowing, the rehearsal dinner food needs to be purchased and the wedding decorations need to be packed up.  I know all of these things yet I continue to check my phone for the D-Day countdown. 

 Today, it simply says in the left-hand corner of my phone's screen, "D-3."  It's absolute torture, really.  It just sends a wave of 'AHHH!" right through me every time.  And you may ask, why I torture myself this way.  

I do this because I'm  EXCITED to be Matt's wife.  And even though as the number on the countdown gets smaller, I get a little more stressed, I also get that much more excited.   I check it to savor this time and the fact that yes, in just three short mornings, I will get to walk down that aisle to him. And at the end of the day, no matter what goes wrong or right, we will be husband and wife and it won't matter if the weed-eating was finished or if the rehearsal dinner dessert was perfect. 

I. CAN'T. WAIT.

No comments:

Post a Comment