"Memory is a net; one finds it full of fish when he takes it from the brook; but a dozen miles of water have run through it without sticking." -Oliver Wendell Holmes


Sunday, March 20, 2011

What We're Eating

So far in 2011, we've been meal planning. Our reasons are for convenience at the grocery store, to save money and to use the twenty or so cookbooks I have in my possession. I have to say it has been mostly good - we pick recipes that sound good, obviously. It has been really helpful to see that the low-carb (or no-carb) orders my doctor has recently given me aren't a death sentence for my love of cooking.

As we get ready to repeat our first recipe since January 1st, I thought I'd compile the list in one spot. I gotta say, sometimes I miss just throwing together a meal from "whatever is left" but I think it has been good for me to stop making so many casseroles that can't be repeated (because I don't measure what goes in them) and to start making a more varied menu. We usually pick 3-4 meals per week since there are just two of us and there are usually leftovers. And on busy nights, I will sometimes just eat a quick omelet (especially if Matt is gone to ref a basketball game). There is also the occasional date night or the night at a friend's house for dinner.

Below is a list of the main dishes we've made so far this year. We eat a steamed vegetable or salad with every meal that doesn't already include a lot of veggies, but we usually don't follow a recipe for that. And while it's just natural for me to tweak recipes as I cook them, I've tried to stay true to most of these in order to keep an accurate record of whether or not it's a recipe we should keep or never make again. Here's to happy cooking and eating!

Cast-Iron Skillet Sloppy Joes
Ratatouille over "Cauli-rice"
Soy-Marinated Chicken with Asparagus
Cajun 15-Bean Soup
Pumpkin Harvest Soup
Pot Roast Beef with Guinness
Golden Chicken with Tomatoes and Olives
Turkey Meatloaf
Southern Beef Chili
Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
Grilled Salmon Salad
Kale, Bean and Chicken Sausage Stew
African Beef Curry
Alaska Burgers
Broccoli Chicken Supreme
Charlotte Cady's Ground Beef Soup
Sweet Potato Hamburger Pie
Pork Chops with Mustard Cream Sauce
Almond Chicken with Apricot Sauce
Beef and Barley Soup
Chicken Cordon Bleu
Ricotta Stuffed Bell Peppers
Spaghetti Squash Spaghetti with Spicy Shrimp
Feta Asparagus Frittata
Pork Tenderloin with Nutmeg and Garlic Spinach
Meatless Mexican Lasagna
Loaded Baked Sweet Potatoes



No comments:

Post a Comment