"Memory is a net; one finds it full of fish when he takes it from the brook; but a dozen miles of water have run through it without sticking." -Oliver Wendell Holmes


Saturday, June 13, 2009

Summer "To Do's"


Since I can remember, I have started every summer break with a feeling of endless possibilities. Plans begin to form, mental lists are made, ideas hatch all involving the activities saved for the two months every year when I feel free. This year is no different, however, some of the plans have changed from the days when my sister and I would write down all of the games we would play in the pool and who we would have over for sleepovers every weekend. Summer school starts on Monday and while this puts a damper on some plans (road trips are definitely put on hold), I've designed my summer course to involve very little work outside of class time once it gets rolling. And since my school day ends at 11:00 am, I've got a lot of time to tackle my list.

There is only one problem with these summer planning sessions. Every year, when summer fades, I reflect and find that many of my best laid plans have not come to fruition. I'm determined to make this summer different. I may not tackle every item on the list, but I aim to make a more respectable attempt. With about ten weeks left before teacher meetings to kick off the next school year, I write down my summer list.

  1. Finish unpacking the new house
  2. Attempt to make bookshelves for the office and bedroom
  3. Remove wallpaper border and repaint spare bedroom
  4. Paint master bedroom
  5. Paint master bathroom
  6. Paint second bathroom
  7. Find a sofa table or buffet to refurbish and keep in the foyer
  8. Decide on and either make or purchase window treatments
  9. Go on a float trip
  10. Spend a day at the winery
  11. Cook a lot
  12. Visit the Farmer's Market regularly
  13. Sip coffee at Cafe Berlin for hours on end :)
  14. Read good books
  15. Watch great movies
  16. Continue tending my garden and hopefully harvest
  17. Make a compost can
  18. Train for this year's Lewis and Clark Half Marathon in St. Charles
  19. Paint the Mailbox post
  20. Visit the Saint Louis Zoo and Art Museum
  21. Organize my photo album
  22. Have all of the pictures and music from my old hard drive transferred to the new computer
  23. Visit my family in Saint Louis and Matt's in Kentucky
  24. Ride my bike to Rocheport

No comments:

Post a Comment