"Memory is a net; one finds it full of fish when he takes it from the brook; but a dozen miles of water have run through it without sticking." -Oliver Wendell Holmes


Saturday, November 7, 2009

Maids and Venues

I'm a few posts behind - this one and the next few should be backdated by about a week or two! 

It has been just over a month since our engagement and we're definitely in the planning mode for our wedding.  We're keeping up with work and family as best we can, but these days we're lucky if we see one another for dinner more than twice a week.  While we have a lot of ideas and checklists and phone numbers to call we really only have a few things nailed down.  I'm trying not to panic.  Matt is trying to keep me from panicking.  And we've set aside some time tomorrow to sit down and talk about some big decisions - with both of us in the same room.  

What we do have:

A budget
A date
A ceremony site
A reception site
Bridesmaids
Some groomsmen
And a lot of ideas for everything else!

I'd like to start turning some of those ideas into realities, but I've got to remember that I can't plan a whole wedding in one day (although I think I'd like to).  This is difficult for me.

With a wedding only 8 months away, one of my biggest priorities and time suckers is to find a dress. I've looked a lot online and I've gone out twice - neither time a success.  The first, because I didn't find anything I was thrilled about.  The second, because the woman helping was a heinous, rude and unhelpful person.  I DID find a dress I loved, but she neglected to tell me it was discontinued until I was already absolutely sold on that dress.  I'm trying to hold my tongue about her.  Needless to say, I will not be returning to the Gown House in Columbia in future searches.  

I was unable to take pictures when I asked two of the maids to be in my wedding, but Matt was able to snap a few of the sisters as I asked them.  I gave all six a hand-sewn card from my favorite downtown store, Poppy, with a little note, quote  or message from me inside.  At the end, each one said, "Will you be my bridesmaid/maid of honor?"  They were well-received by all.  I'm so glad to have my sisters and oldest friends stand with me on the big day.  





No comments:

Post a Comment