"Memory is a net; one finds it full of fish when he takes it from the brook; but a dozen miles of water have run through it without sticking." -Oliver Wendell Holmes


Sunday, October 10, 2010

Our Very Own "Punkin' Festival"

I really just can't get enough of fall, so this post could be looooong.  But here are the highlights.  
On a blustery, but beautiful day in Columbia, Matt and I stopped at the park for some photos on our way to the MU game.  Around this time of year I have a constant craving for sweatshirts, time spent outside, piping hot apple cider and lots of chili.  By now, we've successfully checked those off the list.




And finally, I'm posting the pictures from our Halloween events.  Of course the holiday was welcomed by my mom's annual decorations.  They were soon joined by my dad's carved squash of varying varieties.  My favorite is the green one who looks a little like Yoda :-)  



For us Columbia folk, our festivities started with a with a trip to Saint Peters which included a bonfire, chili, S'mores and a private hayride.  These are things I used to think were normal, but now I know not every kid is lucky enough to have a pumpkin patch in their backyard.  

Anyone growing up on or near the Chipley farm knows that Halloween is important and something to be celebrated with the utmost reverence.  We learned this from my mother, who holds this spooky day way up there with (I think, anyway) the birthdays, graduations, and anniversaries.  Personally, I like Christmas because it is more of a season.  Halloween seems to sneak up on me every year and before I know it, I don't have a costume because I refuse to scramble something together if it isn't clever.  But who has time to think of something clever?  My mother.  And here she is in all her tree costume glory.  










Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment