"Memory is a net; one finds it full of fish when he takes it from the brook; but a dozen miles of water have run through it without sticking." -Oliver Wendell Holmes


Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Transcendental

"I too am not a bit tamed,
I too am untranslatable,
I sound my barbaric yawp
over the roofs of the world."

We're reading Whitman in class today. I sound like such a hippy dippy every year during this unit - "I celebrate myself, I sing myself" - and I love it. Despite their general repugnance for anything school-related, a lot of the students end up connecting with these original hippies.

Emerson, Thoreau, Whitman, Dickinson. Who would I choose if I could have dinner with anyone living or dead?  Normally put on the spot by it, I think I've finally found an answer to this question.

1 comment:

  1. Whitman is my all time favorite. "Do I contradict myself? Very well then, I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes." :)

    ReplyDelete